Sunday, January 2, 2011

TO DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM


I love the movies.
I celebrated the New Year by going to the movies and seeing True Grit.   I hadn’t planned on watching this remake of John Wayne’s movie out of respect for The Duke; however curiosity got the best of me.  Would this version measure-up to the original?  I’m not a big Jeff Bridges fan.  Would I believe him as Rooster Cogburn?  And what about Mattie Ross?  Would I want to meld into her skin and transform into a sassy, independent tomboy determined to avenge her father’s death? 
The answer to these questions?  Yes and yes.  Sorry, Big John, but I like this new take on Charles Portis’ book better.  From the opening scene to the rolling of the credits, True Grit held me captive.  I laughed, cried, and cheered. 
The first movie I remember seeing was, To Kill a Mockingbird.   
Mama loved Gregory Peck and since this was during the time when children went every where with their parents, she took my brother and me along.   The bright lights of the movie marquee at the old Ozark Theatre in Fayetteville welcomed us into a lobby scented with the buttery smell of fresh popcorn.  Twenty-five cents got us both popcorn and sodas. 
The lights dimmed and my pulse quicken with anticipation.  The opening scene flashed onto the big screen and I was hooked for life. 
 It is interesting to note that a large percentage of the best movies out there are based on books: To Kill a Mockingbird, Gone with the Wind, True Grit, Harry Potter, and Lord of the Rings to name just a few.  
                             Of course, I dream of the day my book, Soldiers From the Mist, hits the big screen.  I’m not alone in this wish.  My friends, Gypsy Jan and Alaska Patty see their novels, Broken Dolls and Redneck-Ex on movie marquees as well.  
Dusty Richards’ award winning book, The Sundown Chaser is an excellent movie possibility.  Tom Selleck as Thurman Baker?  Sounds like a winner to me.
I realize that there are those that scoff at this idea.
 “Your book?  A movie?  No way.”  
I have two words for these non-believers—Yes, way!”    
Today's impossible dreams are the realities of tomorrow.
I don’t know which movie stars will portray Charlie, Jessie and Emmie.  Perhaps an unknown will be discovered and Soldiers From the Mist will be his claim to fame.  Martin Scorsese will be the producer/director, however because I dreamed I stood on stage with my Oscar for “Best movie based on a Novel” signing The Impossible Dream to Mr. Scorsese.  A silly dream or a valid premonition?  Only time will tell.
To dream the impossible dream, to reach the unreachable star . . .

4 comments:

  1. "Yes way!" Isn't that part of the joy - dreaming? And possibility is in the eye of the beholder. I often have thoughts of my writers friends and me up on the podium at the Academy Awards, having to be coaxed off the stage because we have so many people to thank. :-)

    I loved "True Grit," too. When Mattie jumped in the river with her horse, I cried and thought, "That's who I wanna be." I liked Jeff Bridges in the role, but still like the way The Duke portrayed Rooster too. But as far as Mattie? No way did Kim Darby compare to Hailee Steinfield!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After that five star review, I have to go see "True Grit" now for sure.

    People who dream big are the most fun to be around. They are optimistic, work hard to achieve their goals, and they rarely ever give up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMBITION
    There's nothing wrong with dreamers dreaming,
    not satisfied to be content
    Always reaching for something higher,
    something better just around the bend.
    It's the passion that keeps them going
    that fuels the fire of competitive edge
    That one more skill, that spec of knowledge,
    the unseen trait that puts them ahead.
    Though life may seem like an endless cycle,
    from cradle to grave - alas, complete.
    Where would we be without the dreamers,
    who are not afraid to chase their dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Short stories or novellas often do better when adapted as movies than full length novels. I note that "True Grit" is 240 pages, so not too far outside of the short novel range. It takes a master to adapt a long work. Think about the Harry Potter films. Three and Six were well done because the directors didn't feel slavishly dedicated to each event in the books. They told a cinematic story. The same was true for Peter Jackson and "The Lord of the Rings." A lot got left out, but the power and major themes are in the films. Robert Zemeckis did a good job bringing "Contact" to the big screen by simplifying some parts and focusing on the main characters.

    That being said, anyone who wants to adapt my writing for movies my feel free to speak with me.

    ReplyDelete