Thursday, November 17, 2011

They Walk Faithfully By Our Side

Of all the pictures Madison has given us for Friday Fiction this one hit home the strongest. It resurected memories of so long ago.  I felt the leather reins in my hands. Heard the creak of saddle leather. And smelled that wonderful scent of horse. There are no words that can describe the relationship between a girl and her horse. Some think it silly, but all us cowgirls know it's the greatest love on earth. My story will not do justice to this picture.  Never-the-less here it is, dedicated to Cowgirls everywhere and the horses that walk faithfully by our side.

I Knew
“No one thought you were born just for me.  But I knew.
No one thought you were a wish come true.  But I knew.
No one thought you’d amount to much.  But I knew.
No one thought your strength would give me courage.  But I knew.
No one thought you could change a shy little girl into a confident young woman. But I knew.
No one thought you’d share my dreams or hear my voice. But I knew.
No one thought you’d be my best friend forever.  But I knew.
No one thought I could love you as much as I do. Even me.
But that’s ok.
You knew.”  


16 comments:

  1. Your writing gave me goose bumps. And they felt good.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Ruth, I'm beggin' you. Let Dixie Dandelion talk through you again. I miss her. And I just keep thinking ole Jackson has gotta be ready to pop with wanting that girl by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautifully done, Ruth. It warmed my heart all the way to the end. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit so many nails on the head with this one, Ruth. I still remember when we brought Snippy home. My daughter was 8 and she'd been begging, like I had done before her, for a horse of her own. I didn't get mine until 44 years into the wish. She has learned so much with him by her side. He was undernourished, had been ill-treated, and my neighbors, well off horse people thought I was nuts for buying him. I'm going to show this one and Doug's to her, she's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ruth,

    It's hard to type right now. Eyes watering. Lovely, lovely, lovely.

    Yours,

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aloha Doug,
    I know what you mean about the eyes watering. Tears were streaming down my cheeks writing this. I loved my horse, King and he was my best friend forever.
    Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madison,
    Loved the picture.
    thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Siobhan,
    Thanks for the comment. It's a great feeling to know my writing can warm a heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Pam!
    I promise something from Dixie the next group meeting. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Ruth, Gab tried to leave a comment last night to tell you how much she identified with your story but blogger wouldn't cooperate then. She said that sounds just like Snippy - no one imagined how good he'd be for her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, wow, wow! You beautifully captured the meaning of love--and in less than 100 words. You made me cry, Dixie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was beautiful! I never owned a horse but I always loved them. I worked for an hour every day in the school library after school. It earned enough for me to ride the bus to the east edge of Wichita, KS, to the riding stables. I spent 2 glorious hours every Saturday on the back of one of their horses. I considered myself the luckiest girl in the galaxy. :-)

    ReplyDelete